Sunday, October 2, 2011

Day 14 - Omaha!

After an uncomfortable night in the van, we checked out the Omaha ZooWe've been to several zoos, but this one was really nice.  It was a little crowded, but not too bad.
In the "Kingdoms of the Night" exhibit~
 
The "Hubbard Orangutan Forest" ~

This guy was really friendly - sadly, I didn't get any pictures of him right up next to us~
Heading into the Gorilla Valley~
 
Mary's hand is a little smaller than a Diana monkey~
Charlie - a little taller than a hunched over gorilla.  He does weigh significantly less~
Sam - about the height of an orangutan~
Rosie - born two days before me~
 
This guy shares Scott's birth day, only 26 years later~
It always kind of cracks me up when they have animals like squirrels in the exhibits~
Part of the Simmons Aviary~
We finally saw a bear!


This kind of thing always makes me a little sad~
 
 

Totally not my thing.  I do not like birds in real life~

Okay - best part of this zoo?  The Skyfari!!!
By best, I mean coolest, yet most anxiety producing.  There is nothing to stop us from plummeting into an exhibit to be eaten alive by various animals~
The views are amazing!  You literally ride over tons of various exhibits, including those of dangerous animals.  I couldn't really take many pictures because I was so scared.  There were people with babies on their laps.  Ugh.
Sam thought it was funny to shake our seat.  I didn't.
Mary loves penguins~
Scott Aquarium~





 

After we left the zoo, the hunt was on for Big Mama's, a restaurant featured on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives.
It was kind of difficult to find (it's on Turning Point Campus, a youth services center in urban Omaha), but it was worth it~
The staff was friendly and the food was comforting ;) ~
 
Even though it was getting late, I wanted to stop by the (in)famous Omaha slides.  They are just big slides right in the middle of the downtown~
The kids had fun, but it was getting cold~

We spent the night at the Embassy Suites, swam in the pool and watched Nacho Libre (really lame, but we gave it a chance because we LOVE "School of Rock").  Omaha is a nice little big city.

No comments: